Nowadays there are so many raw healthy chocolates on the market, there are options for almost every taste, shape and colour, whether your diabetic, a kid, an adult and a huge market for luxury sets, the list is endless.
Having a little experience in the organic chocolate world we can give one piece of advice when buying chocolate… Always take a look at the list of ingredients and the place of origin of the cacao. At the beginning of our journey we did a ton of research and found out there is a lot of well-presented companies producing “special” and quite pricey chocolate. The majority of this “special” chocolate is coverture (full of refined sugar) hiding behind statements like handmade crafted treats, we were shocked to discover most of them are using cheap commercial coverture, probably produced with bulk cacao (low-quality cacao beans), we are not really sure about the cacao as its wisely hidden with fancy suggestive wording, we find this strange and quite bizarre. During our research, we came across another brand producing what they call healthy organic chocolate for kids. Behind the fancy packaging and attractive price, we quickly understood that this kids chocolate bar had a high percentage of refined cane sugar.
There are many examples out there and the opposite is also found. There are a few good companies out there making great chocolate and deserve the public trust.
Here we will say why Raw Spirit Chocolate Company is legitimate and why our chocolate is so special along with its quality and nutritional facts.
- Why Raw..? — Predominately the worlds commercial chocolate is produced with roasted cacao. The temperature of this thermal processing is between 100-150˚c. This means that most of the nutritional value of the cacao is destroyed. We are strictly keeping all of our processes under 42.5˚c, which ensures we keep all of the nutritional benefits of the raw cacao in our chocolate bars. Its incredibly important to us that our chocolate is made with the highest quality ingredients possible. We are using certified Raw organic cold pressed criollo cacao butter, certified organic raw criollo beans (nibs) all these ingredients are UTZ certified “fair trade”. We also add superfoods in our products and this lead to superior and unique bars like organic raw chocolate with mulberries and lemon and black pepper chocolate.
- Our Criollo cacao — We are carefully choosing our ingredients without making any compromises on quality. The beans used for our organic cacao nibs are grown in the Peruvian amazon – the spirit house of cacao. The criollo variety cacao we use for our bars makes up only 5% of the world cacao production and is also prized for its superior flavour.
Our cacao doesn’t contain any additives or preservatives. This is 100% cacao, nothing added and nothing is taken away. It is neither roasted or dutch processed (alkalised) making them raw. Our cacao butter has not been refined/deodorised meaning that its amazing chocolate scent remains. Exquisite Peruvian cacao is well suited to agroforestry systems, which have a less environmental impact compared to plantations in west Africa where it is typically grown in direct sunlight with the use of fertilisers. This has led to substantial deforestation and makes Peruvian cacao a more sustainable option. Almost all of Perus cacao is grown by small holders who rely on cacaos weekly harvest ( the main harvest is from April-September ) as their main source of income, for more info about the cacao click here.
- Coconut blossom sugar — Coconut sugar is made from the nectar of the flowers of the coconut tree. The nectar is tapped from the blossom of the tree and collected in bamboo containers. It is then placed in a large wok where it is gently heated to remove the moisture, leaving behind pure unrefined coconut sugar.
Compared to standard normal sugar coconut blossom sugar is subtlety sweet with a light caramel edge. It contains many micro-nutrients not found in conventional sugar and has a lower glycemic index (GI).Our coconut sugar comes from Indonesia, its kosher and non GMO. All of our main chocolate ingredients (cacao butter and cacao nibs) is certified by the Organic Food Federation. Coconut sugar contains 3-9% fructose, regular sugar is around 50% fructose. Fructose intake spurs the liver to produce more triglycerides. The less fructose your liver needs to contend with, the better. This makes coconut sugar a better choice than regular cane sugar for our Raw Spirit Chocolate bars.
- The process of creation — After souring the finest ingredients comes the next stage, equally important, the technique.
We are stone grinding all of our base ingredients for a minimum of 24hrs, which is 2-3 times longer than in comparison to most of the other small chocolate companies. To help the process we pre-grind our ingredients to help reach an incredibly fine, smooth and velvety texture for our raw chocolate. After this process we enter the tempering stage where our bars become shiny and snappy, followed by hand moulding, hand wrapping and hand packaging. We believe that the vibes of the whole process of creation are going into every single bar, so we are putting care and love into every single bar. The card we use for our packaging is made from recycled paper making it eco-friendly. This is in-line with our philosophy to be in collaboration with nature as much as possible. Every single card packet is cut by hand and carefully used for our special chocolate bars.
- Children In Need — Here is where we will tell you about our cause and philosophy of helping other people, nature and all life in general. To help make the world a better and nicer place to live in, a life with a positive sense.
Being parents, we decided that the best way to be thankful for a life of freedom, health and creativeness is to give back to the little ones who need help, love and support as we had. We will support big organisations like UNICEF, World vision and save the children, including any other legitimate organisations with 3% of our profit. Now and forever.